Monday, January 15, 2007

Snorkelin'

Yesterday was I think the true start of my adventures here in New Zealand. My co-workers and I bought some rad snorkeling gear on Saturday at a local dive shop. It was a good thing we went in a group so we got a 20% discount on our items! I got some fins (for my feet), gloves, a snorkel, a mask, booties (I guess that's what they call the boots that you put on to go into the fins), and an inner hood/vest lining to go under my wetsuit, which I got for a bargain price at "The Warehouse" the next day (kind of like Costco).

I didn't bring my camera because I knew water would be involved and I assumed someone else might have a camera, but alas, nobody had one ready... so you can't see what I looked like in my gear. Next time.

So we went swimming off the coast of Island Bay, another suburb in Wellington. I got to see a bunch of creatures of the ocean, including some blue cod, red mokis, some striped fish, two starfish, a crab, jellyfish, and a baby octopus! Some of the co-workers were out spear-fishing and caught some good grub. I didn't have a harpoon so I was just sight-seeing in the water. I wish I did though, when I saw those blue cods mozying under me.

Eventually (I think two and a half hours later), the water started to get cold and my muscles were getting tired from swimming around, so we got out of the water. I waved at two random people riding on horseback by the coast and they waved back. It was strange to think that I'm doing this without being "on holiday," just on a weekend. I actually work in this crazy land of nature and beauty.

This is just the first step, and I will be snorkeling more often now that it is so close and convenient and fun! In about a month, I'll be taking scuba certification lessons with my co-worker and we'll be exploring the waters in greater detail!

1 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. ::totally impressed::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home