Tuesday, January 30, 2007

catch up time

Hey everybody...no, I still don't have internet at my new apartment, so I'll have to write something up for you all here at work. Luckily, my friend Kevin posted some pictures of our previous adventures, and I'll talk about them and link you to his gallery for now. Anyways, here goes:

Comet McNaught (was it discovered by a Scotsman? I don't know). The night was stunning, the sunset was beautiful but there were so many clouds. We were all about to give up and call it a night at around 9:20 as the sun was setting until a group of locals told us to stay for another 15 minutes. They had seen it the previous night at around 9:45 or 10, and lo and behold, at about 9:45, we saw the faintest little streak in the air. As there was a little light in the sky because of the sun just setting, the comet was really faint, and half of our comet watching group left shortly after seeing the speck through the clouds. Despite the three mosquito bites I received on my camera-holding hands, me and 4 others were lucky enough to stay until 10:30 to see the clouds roll out and a geyser of a comet paint the sky in all of its radiance.

Thundercat speedboats. We all decided to act like hicks from the heartland as we watched the nascar of the sea...yes, indeedy. It was a big viewing party of the race over at Tom and Greg's house where we had beer and chips and salsa, oh and some bbq to boot. Here are some pics from Kev's sweet SLR camera.

New apartment in Seatoun. My flatmates at the old flat in Hataitai had decided to move out because the rent was increasing for February and it just wasn't worth the money to stay at that humble, yet old place. I took the opportunity to talk to my housing coordinator at work to see if she knew of any places opening up and luckily enough she was just notified of a sweet place in Seatoun (yep, Kevin's neighborhood). It's a loft apartment with its own kitchen, washer and dryer, fully furnished, and has a view of the ocean. You can walk to the beach across the street in 30 seconds or less, and it's pretty sheltered from the wind. I'm paying more money per week for this, but it's definitely worth it. And don't worry, I still hang out with my old Hataitai flatmates. I don't really have pictures of this up yet (still waiting for internet) but patience is a virtue!

I'm gonna leave you with some goofy pictures of dive dorks (went snorkeling again on Sunday and got some pictures of me being totally retarded, as promised).

And thanks again to Kevin for posting his pics on the net.

2 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger bsleven said...

Derrick!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog. : )

I eagerly await your drawings. Are you going to post them here?

Miss Ya.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Nice pictures :P

I have added more excitement to my blog! :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home