Sunday, April 22, 2007

pie day in new zealand!

On the 20th of April, last Friday, I organized the first of hopefully many monthly pie days at Wexford (the animation building at Weta Digital), continuing Chad Shattuck's tradition at Rhythm & Hues. The kiwis here like savory pies, so they all wanted mince and cheese and steak and bacon and egg in their pies, so Jeremy and I bought a few from the store. But the real pies as we know them in the States are called "dessert pies" here, and Lori and I baked a total of 4 pies (well I baked one, she baked three).

Anyways, I baked a kiwi lime pie (no key limes in New Zealand, go fig!). It turned out pretty nice. This is the second time I baked it, and the consistency of the custardy part in the middle was nice and firm. I think I either baked it a minute too long, or I mixed the egg yolks a little longer than necessary. Regardless, it turned out firmer than the first time I baked it (on 3/14) with Lori's help, which was my goal from the start of this second attempt. The crust turned out nice and strong this time - felt like a real pie! Everyone liked it and a key lime pie fan said it was great!

Lori is our master in-house baker so she outdid herself and baked 3 gorgeous pies that looked so professional. Her French Silk (chocolate cream), Apple, and Pecan pies wowed everyone not only in looks but in taste.

All in all, pie day was a success (big hit with the non-kiwis because they probably felt nostalgic about American "dessert pies"), and it looks like we'll be continuing the tradition. Maybe I'll make a steak and kidney pie next time. Just kidding =)

2 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I think everyone should know that Derrick's kiwi lime pie was the first pie pan to get licked clean, so I think he wins the "tasty pastry" award for the month of April!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger pistolfingers said...

key lime pie is teh roxxors. glad to see you fighting the good fight, D. work the pie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home